Nominations Now Open!
The media has a vital role in challenging a culture which supports violence, and many journalists and bloggers produce high quality work which confronts violence and gender inequality. We believe that their hard work deserves to be recognised, which is why we are pleased to present the second Write to End Violence Against Women Awards for excellence in journalism.
We are looking for pieces about gender based violence, and its root cause: gender inequality, which challenge a culture that accepts violence against women published between 01/09/13 and 01/09/14.
The Write to End Violence Against Women Awards has four separate award categories. Anyone may nominate their own article, or an article written by someone else any of the categories.
- Best Article
- Best Student Article
- Best Blog Post / Article
- Wooden Spoon Award for Worst article.
Strong pieces will
- Use language carefully in a way that does not blame survivors.
- Challenge myths and stereotypes
- Provide a bigger picture view, and place individual cases in a wider national and international context.
- Highlight the both the gendered nature of Violence against women (and GBV) as well its root causes.
- Be well written, original and contribute to raising awareness of gender based violence and/or gender inequality.
For more information and recommendations about responsible media reporting, see Zero Tolerance Handle with Care Guide.