Write to End Violence Against Women 2017 open for submissions
We are excited to announce that the fifth Write to End Violence Against Women Awards is open for submissions.
We invite you to submit your writing, or someone else’s writing, for consideration in the 2017 awards.
2017 marks the fifth year that the Write to End Violence Against Women Awards will take place. Unfortunately irresponsible media coverage which perpetuates myths about domestic abuse is still rife. We are lucky to have a rich pool of writing talent in Scotland and we want to celebrate the writers who have challenged the idea that violence against women is ever acceptable.
The Write to End Violence Against Women Awards has six separate award categories. Anyone may nominate their own writing, or an article written by someone else for any of the categories.
- Best Article – news
- Best Article – features
- Best Article – student & youth
- Best Blog or Comment piece
- *New for 2017* – Creative writing
- Wooden Spoon
To nominate or submit an entry, please submit via the website. Alternatively, entries can be submitted by email to submissions (at) writetoendvaw.com. The deadline for entries is midnight 30 September 2017.
What are we looking for?
When reviewing submissions for The Write to End Violence Against Women Awards we will be looking for well written, original contributions to awareness raising of gender inequality or Violence Against Women (VAW). We have written guidance on how best to achieve this in Handle With Care, our guide for journalists – download here. Here are some questions to ask yourself about your piece
- Does my submission use accurate, non-judgemental language that is recommended by agencies working in violence against women? See page 17 for more information.
- Does my submission challenge myths or stereotypes about violence against women? See page 22 for more information.
- Does my submission place violence against women in the wider context of gender inequality? See pages 22 and 27 for further information.
What Happens Next
After the closing date a shortlist will be chosen. All shortlisted writers will be invited to the awards ceremony which will be held at the Scottish Parliament during the 16 Days of Action for The Elimination of Violence Against Women in December 2017.